Saturday 17 November 2012

The lost art of losing.

I thought of this topic a while back, around the beginning of October, but like anything at the min, I have to find inspiration.. Sometimes it hits me at odd times and the inclination has to be followed.

So losing, being a loser in life at times, I can comprehend the art of it, and acceptance plays a big part.  As a kid I wasn't blessed with great athlectic ability or anything of merit, except the willingness to try hard and do the best I can, which has stuck with me.

These days some of my best is apparently great, but I don't really like praise, as in such a fast moving world, it sounds hollow, my prerogative is, if you can do it, it's not worthy of praise.

It's like people calling me a star and mentioning how great I am for doing such a task.. Hollow once it's been said.. But I know this is just me, I don't like getting things wrong and also I see it as a challenge to overcome.. As if I don't managed or achieve it, it irks me for ages.. Like tonight I've forgot to be somewhere.  Whether this is a product of the week, that I have forgotten what day and date it was.. It's irritating that I've failed in this endeavour, there is nothing I can do about this of course, but my brain won't accept that for a few hours or perhaps a week.

But enough about me, what of the adults of the future.. The kids of today... Self needy, shallow and all in all the inheritors of the earth.

What made me think about the topic, even though it was in the swirl of my mind anyway, was a child at a recent party...

A lot of times I've let some comments just dissolve into the ether, but the odd ones stick, like a bit of cling film...

What this particular child said was 'but I've not had a turn/won'... During a game of pass the parcel.
Back in my day, the joy of just getting to rip off one layer of paper was enough, now though, there is a small prize in each layer and enough layers for each kid.

It's scares me that this is encouraged, everyone has to win... Nobody loses.. But they lose even more because they are not learning about losing, building them up with a fake confidence and unreal bravado.

I'm all for praising a child on it's achievements and encouraging them to be better, try harder and be good, punish them when they do wrong, but it seems my feelings on this are some what draconian... As I do think a slap on the legs or backside, is a suitable, remember able thing to do.  As it makes anyone think.. I'll not do that again.  Talking may work in some instances, but I also do believe a threat is enough and a very last resort would I use a slap.

Now though we are surrounded by the stupid, after all this hollow praise and lack of any kind of losing or punishment, they've made them feel invincible and untouchable and a complete lack of respect for other people.... Claiming money constantly for their own mistakes, turning the human race into a human destination, a frightening prospect made real.  It's seen in schools, by the police and by the parents, their little darlings have turned into shits, or on tv.. X-factor for sure has contributed in bringing and creating more idiots in society.

Yes I know I maybe being a bit harsh, but after so many years of all this pc nonsense, it starting to erode society like a high grade sandpaper, whittling it away till society consists of a people who can't tie their own shoes and need to have an instruction mannual for a hammer.

Other people are beginning to see it too.. And in the harshes terms have mentioned we need a new plague... To rid us of idiots and thugs.

Unfortunately this will continue for a while.. proved by a couple I know... their child stands no chance of breaking the cycle.

Kids can't lose ... only the world..

No comments:

Post a Comment